[TN-Bird] Pace Point Puddles

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 23:32:27 EST

Feb. 22, 2003
Pace Point Area

Needless to say it was wet on Saturday. Duck populations were way down from a
couple of weeks ago but diversity was there, it just took some scratching and
splashing. Twenty species were present including all the Mergansers.

Loon numbers are on the rise again; where Mark and I had only a handful 2
weeks ago, I had 82 in view at one time in Eagle Creek and a total for the
day of 127. Nothing but Common but I made up for that on Sunday.

Gulls were spread around as high water has covered most roosting areas. Three
Lesser Black-backed Gulls were found, one immature out from Gray's cemetery,
one out from Trailer Road and an adult off New Hope Landing.

The flats at Big Sandy were way under water but a small flight of Dunlin
skimmed by looking for a feeding place. A single LeConte's Sparrow answered
my pishing from the truck so I did not have to get wet to get that one.
Brewer's and Rusty Blackbirds were found in one cattle feed lot. Early in the
day 3 Bald Eagles still had not left the roost trees.

Entering the Big Sandy Unit, I saw 11 Gobblers each sporting a long beard;
being ultra wary they fled to the woodline. Just past the maintenance
buildings I took a shot of a group of over 80 Wild Turkeys strung out in
line.

Late in the day the rain drops hitting the windshield started to get grainy.
I decided to head south rather that to get caught in snow and ice for the 3rd
straight Sunday. Pickwick Dam can be great and the fishing forecast coming
out of Paris, TN. said they were letting water out big time down there. The
only problem is that the farther south I went the heavier the snow got. It
was coming down thick and heavy by the time I reached Savannah. Fortunately
it was too warm down there for anything to stick. Sunday was a great day at
the dam. Next Time!

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL' COOT / TLBA