[TN-Bird] Pace Point Area Birding

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 22:22:15 EST

Nov. 8-9, 2003
Pace Point Area
Henry and Benton Co. TN
I thought I would have to travel to Musick Campground in east TN to get my
year Eared Grebe but a close encounter that gave Dave Dugus (Indiana) and I
great looks erased that trip from the books. The bird popped into view at Lick
Creek right off the north boat ramp. After finding the Red Phalarope both
Saturday and Sunday the rest of the time was spent looking through the
waterfowl and
gulls with good results.

With ducks and geese just getting into gear, I was still able to locate 19
species of waterfowl. Greater White-fronted Geese were seen flying late
Saturday
at Britton Ford and then seen on the ground at the Big Sandy Flats with a
group of Canada Geese on Sunday. The best of the ducks were probably 4 Surf
Scoters seen out from Paris Landing that got up and flew north over the bridge
and
settled again. The last species added was Greater Scaup with a few sprinkled
in with Lesser seen off Paris Landing late on Sunday.

There were about 200 Common Loons present on Sunday but heat waves and choppy
water made from poor viewing. White Pelicans were seen from large groups to
single birds at every viewing area visited with the largest group at the Big
Sandy Flats. Forster's Terns were seen in good numbers along with Ring-billed
and Herring Gulls. The adult Lesser Black-backed Gull was seen by others
Saturday but eluded me. I did get an immature at Gray's Landing at the east end
of
the bridge out from Paris and then Dave and I had a second year bird on the
Island out from the State Park at Paris on Sunday afternoon.

Bald Eagles were scattered with only 6 adults and 1 immature seen in the
area.  Sparrows were seen in abundance with Vesper probably the best found in
the
8 species seen without walking the fields. While at Britton Ford, we had 4
Palm Warblers feeding undaunted at our feet and others were seen scattered
about
over the weekend.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson