[TN-Bird] Re: PUMA Roost

  • From: David Coe <davidbcoe@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 13:07:54 -0500

Okay, I have to admit that I initially read this not as PUMA Roost, but as Puma Roast, and I thought, "Oh, great. What is TWRA proposing now...?"

*****
David B. Coe
davidbcoe@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Crawford Award-winning author of the LonTobyn Chronicle, Winds of the Forelands, and Blood of the Southlands

Recently Released: THE DARK-EYES' WAR, book III of Blood of the Southlands

Now Available: ROBIN HOOD, a novelization of the movie directed by Ridley Scott and starring Russell Crowe and Cate Blanchett

Please visit my website at www.DavidBCoe.com

On Aug 29, 2011, at 1:00 PM, Cynthia Routledge wrote:

Nashville, TN
Davidson County

As you may recall, last year many of us enjoyed viewing the grand Purple Martin roost discovered within throwing distance of Titan Stadium in downtown Nashville. The roost formed again this year and was estimated to have over 100,000 birds!

Steve and I ventured out to see it last Thursday night, 8/25. Scores and scores of Purple Martins filled the sunset sky and then dropped into roost for the night. The sight and sound was truly amazing.

Sadly sometime between us leaving at dark on Thursday and the arrival of another group of birders on Saturday evening, 8/27, the roosting area was mowed and most of the vegetation was removed. The Martins did arrive that night but their behavior was far from normal and their numbers had decreased.

A few local birders will be venturing out there tonight, 8/29, to see just how many Martins remain in the area or if they can detect the birds roosting elsewhere.

We are glad we got out there Thursday night. I am sad for those who did not make it out this year to see the roost. My hope is that the flock has moved further South to yet another roosting location on their long journey. And that when it's roosting time again they return to Nashville in perhaps even greater numbers so we can once again enjoy this incredible natural show.

<")
  ( \
  / |`  Cyndi Routledge
"When one tugs at a single thing in Nature,
he finds it attached to the rest of the world."
~John Muir