[tn-bird] PRAIRIE problem?

  • From: Frank Fekel <fekel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 18:06:35 -0500 (CDT)

Tuesday evening around 6 pm as the sun began to think about
going to bed, I checked bird activity along the Harpeth River
in front of my house.  To my pleasant surprise I found several
TENNESSEE WARBLERs and COMMON YELLOWTHROATs, feeding on the weed
seeds next to the river.  I also saw an E. PHOEBE being chased
by a CAROLINA WREN.  However, most surprising was same PRAIRIE WARBLER
that I had seen on Sunday morning.  Identification was easy since
it still had NO tailfeathers.

Does anyone have an idea about how much of a problem is posed by
the lack of tail feathers?  How successful will its migration
be?

Frank Fekel
Tennessee State University
Center of Excellence in Information Systems
330 10th Avenue North
Nashville, TN 37203  USA