[TN-Bird] Owl aboard!!!

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 10:02:01 EDT

Hello Birders from the Charlotte Park area of West Nashville a little east of
where the Cleece's Ferry used to run on the Cumberland River.
At a little bit after 10 PM last night, I opened the French doors to my deck
to let the dogs out, and I felt a slight breeze just as the motion light came
on and saw what was obviously a great horned owl lifting off from my deck only
about 6 feet from the door.  Golly, one doesn't realize how BIG they are
until one is practically on top of one!  It probably was "mousing," as the mice
come up on deck day and night to eat the bird seed that I scatter out there.  I
strongly doubt that the owl had its sites set on the BIG, FAT opossum which
was crouching among the grape vines on top of the deck rail about 15 feet away.

"Poss" was fairly well hidden with only its head showing in the night light
with its big eyes literally popping out of its head.  Fear of the owl, perhaps,
as the eyes REALLY looked larger than usual.  Of course, the possum caught a
double whammy when my poodle, Beaujolais, detected its odor but failed to see
it on its perch above.  Beau strode around the deck showing ownership for
quite a while as "Poss" played possum by staying still and watching.  Little
Lady
Magnolia was aware that something was up there, but she decided to come back
inside and let her brother take care of the problem.  Finally, he gave up after
sniffing all around the deck and not finding the well hidden possum.  When he
got back inside, I went out there and took some photos of the fat critter.
Sure wish I'd had camera in hand on the owl-fly-up.

Cheers & prayers,

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN