[TN-Bird] Ovenbird(s) in unusual location

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 14:48:28 EDT

Here in the Charlotte Park section of West Nashville, an ovenbird just
strolled across my deck after checking under the grape vine leaves on the
south
side.  As it went past my French doors, I saw that chestnut  crown set off by
the black stripes, its eye ring and striped chest and muttered  to myself,
"That's no sparrow.........it's an ovenbird!"  I gingerly opened  the door in
time
to see it emerge from a leaf-filled flower pot and fly over to  the leaves
under the grape vine on the north side.  It foraged for a  moment, then flew
down
to the ground below and out of sight  No time to  grab the camera off the
dining table.  Guess the little thing is  migrating.  It's my first one on the
property.  Nice thrill!  I  never know what may turn up here next.

Just as I was ready to send this message, it or another one followed the
same course as before including stopping at the same flower pot.  Again,  not
enough time for a photo.  I DO think there were two unless the one flew
through
the carport under the deck and retraced its previous route across the  deck.
Guess I just prefer to think there was a little game of "Follow the  Leader"
going on.

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN

                  EXCELLENT MAP RESOURCES