[TN-Bird] Our "Yard Big Day"

  • From: "Chloe Walker" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "chloebelle119" for DMARC)
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2015 00:40:22 +0000 (UTC)

10-10-15
My brother and I did a "Yard Big Day" earlier today, and it turned out to be
fantastic (and loads of fun!). We tallied just over 50 species in less than 4
hours, which is a new record for one day here! Our best birds were both yard
firsts: Orange-crowned Warbler and Yellow-bellied Flycatcher. Nolan spotted the
latter, and believe it or not, it was a lifer for him! But like all "Big Days"
there's always a "notable miss"...for us it was American Goldfinch. :-0
For those of you who are interested in seeing all we had, our checklist is
below.
52 species
Wood Duck - 5Mallard - 2Great Blue Heron - 5 (migrating)Black Vulture -
10Turkey Vulture - 4Osprey - 1Cooper's Hawk - 1Red-tailed Hawk - 1
(migrating)Mourning Dove - 10Common Nighthawk - 1Chimney Swift - 1Belted
Kingfisher - 1Red-headed Woodpecker - 1Red-bellied Woodpecker - 3 (1
migrating)Downy Woodpecker - 1Northern Flicker - 4 (migrating)American Kestrel
- 1Eastern Wood-Pewee - 1Yellow-bellied Flycatcher - 1Yellow-throated Vireo -
1Blue Jay - 174 (161 migrating)American Crow - 18Carolina Chickadee - 4Tufted
Titmouse - 3
Carolina Wren - 4Eastern Bluebird - 5Gray-cheeked Thrush - 1Swainson's Thrush -
2American Robin - 64Northern Mockingbird - 4European Starling -
200+Black-and-White Warbler - 1Tennessee Warbler - 8Orange-crowned Warbler -
1Nashville Warbler - 1Magnolia Warbler - 6Chestnut-sided Warbler -
1Bay-breasted Warbler - 2Blackburnian Warbler - 1Palm Warbler - 2Yellow-rumped
Warbler - 12Black-throated Green Warbler - 1Chipping Sparrow - 1Song Sparrow -
2Northern Cardinal - 5Rose-breasted Grosbeak - 1Red-winged Blackbird - 2Eastern
Meadowlark - 1Common Grackle - 3Brown-headed Cowbird - 8Baltimore Oriole -
1House Finch - 4
Good birding!
Chloe WalkerMurfreesboro, TN