[tn-bird] Other Recent Sightings/Campbell County

  • From: Jimi Moore <jimimoore@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 19:38:43 -0400

Much time has been spent the last 2 weeks looking for and conducting
Golden-Wing Warbler surveys in the Cumberlands  (Campbell /Claiborne
/Anderson County, TN)    with some sporadic birding in between and on
sites. The following may be of interest to E. Tn.  bird subscribers

On 5-5- I had a report of 2 Bald Eagles at Cove Lake St. Park.
On 5-6-I had a report of an Imm. Eagle in the same area from a reliable
source.
They are possibly nesting nearby since I had several winter and Spring
sightings there.  (Somewhere on Norris Lake?)

A Magnolia and Blackburnian Warbler were unexpected in Cove creek WMA
near Jacksboro, TN. Probably migrants.

A couple of BLUE GROSBEAKS were seen near Andersonville in Anderson
County, TN.

A SEDGE WREN at 3,000 ft. on top of Cross Mt. Campbell County was an
interesting find on 5-9
10-20 Grasshopper Sparrows are at the above location too as well as
Horned Larks suspected breeding again this year.

I also found a new breeding colony of Grasshopper Sparrows in Claiborne
County near Tackett Creek in an abandoned strip mine area . 10+ birds
were present with probably more to be seen.

3 new sites for Golden_Winged Warbler have been located, one of these
with 7 birds on Coopers Ridge in NW Claiborne County. Blue Winged Warbler
was also present in this area.
6 GWWA were found near Peabody/ Hwy 25W halfway between Lafollette and
Jellico along with 2 Blue-Wing warblers at an elevation of 1700-1800 ft.
in an abandoned grown over strip mine.

Eagle Bend Fish Hatchery: (Clinton, TN Anderson County)
 May 10 - 1 BLUE WINGED TEAL
20-25 CLIFF SWALLOWS were seen gathering mud. I watched the direction
they were going and checked the new Veteran's Memorial Bridge bridge (Hwy
61) in Clinton over the Clinch River. There is a HUGE new colony there
with over 100 clusters of freshly made mud nests!  This is the largest
colony of Cliff Swallows I have ever seen.
A Solitary and Spotted SP was also at EBend

Nell Moore
Caryville, TN
CampbellCounty, TN