[TN-Bird] Orioles and other residents of Muddy Creek

  • From: "Michelle Brown" <mbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "tn-birds" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 20:27:38 -0400

Having an 8-5, Monday thru Friday job and a terrible horse habit I find that I
have very little time for my feathered friends.  Of course there is that
husband thing too.  Wow, do they take up a lot of time?  I am ashamed of my
recent lack of interest in one of my favorite critters.  It took a visit from
dear old mom to point out the obvious in my own back yard.
We have been graced with a pair of Orchard Orioles who found our yard to be
just inviting enough to construct a lovely woven nest that hangs from a maple
tree in the back yard.  It is in the tallest branch of the tree where the wind
catches it and sends it swinging quite precariously.  If it hadn't been for mom
these guys would have raised a family and gone unnoticed by my fading birder's
eye.

I did discover a lovely little wren in our workshop.  She is raising a family
of three in a box of old rags that sits on top of a tire on the work bench.
She passed right by the little wren houses that I carefully placed out of reach
of predators.  Instead an old box with Pennzoil across the side seemed better
suited to her needs.  Fortunately it is safe from mammalian predators.  She
just need be very weary of the reptilian visitors.

We have relocated two black rat snakes from the yard in the last two weeks.
One youngster and what by my father in laws estimates would be considered an
anaconda.  I am sure they have made their way back as our relocation project is
simply to get them out of sight and over the fence into the horse pasture and
brushy areas on the hillside.

Momma and Papa Wood Duck are working hard at raising their family.  I have yet
to get an exact count as mom and dad quickly tuck them away in the thickest
brush they can find along the creek bank.  Momma Killdeer is hunkered down on
her patch of soil and three eggs.  She decided that the pasture right in front
of the house was a good spot.  I believe she may be second guessing that
decision as she is constantly being sent into fits of broken wing dancing and
running around trying to lure me away from my own yard.  I try to reach my car
as quickly as possible.

I have a family of Brown Thrashers that have been feeding their young on the
crumbs of suet that fall to the ground.  They are feeding at least two
determined fledglings.

Yesterday I received a thorough cussing from a pair of Robins.  I never caught
sight of their young.  Instead I heeded their warning and made myself scarce.

The Great Horned Owls have been calling late in the evening.  I have not heard
the loud persistent calls of their young yet.

I also have a Yellow Breasted Chat that calls at all hours of the day and
night.  I have had them here every year for the past 6 years.  I am sure they
have been here many years I just wasn't aware that such a bird even existed
until several years ago.

I awoke this morning to the rambling of my favorite morning show.  I crawled
out of the bed and made my way to the door to let the dog out for her morning
jaunt.  There on the barn roof sat something large.  I grabbed my binocs and
focused in on that face that only a mother and a birder could love.  There in
the shadows of the ridge sat one beautiful turkey vulture.  I quickly did a
head count of the horses.  All accounted for and all standing on four legs.  I
can only imagine as that bird sat there waiting for the sun to come up that he
too had just spotted something he felt had the face only a mother could love.

I will continue to work on my lazy birder's eye.  Hopefully I will get a really
fantabulous bird in the process.

As my morning started with a rambling radio...so my day ends with my own
nonsense.

Michelle King
Blountville TN
Farm is located a few miles behind