[TN-Bird] Oregon Junco?

  • From: Ryan Kamp <lewa_green@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tn-birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 08:52:38 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings fellow birders,

While birding in Cades Cove, Great Smoky
Mountains Nat'l Park, Sevier County, on 10-20-2012, I spied an interesting
sight. Near the top of a tree was definitely a Junco, but the dark head,
brownish sides, and whiter underparts contrasted a little too much to
simply write it off as a brown Slate-colored, according to Sibley
guides. Too light to be a dark male Oregon, but dark enough to be a pale male
or female Oregon. I know this is a good deal out of their range,
but could this have been an Oregon Junco? I've never seen the brown
Slate-colored or Oregon before in person, so I'd like some assistance
with this intriguing little bird.

Sorry, he/she didn't hang around long enough for a picture. This
sighting (as well as the rest of the day's birding) is on the 10-20-2012
 post on my blog, if you're interested.

http://easttennesseebirding.wordpress.com

Ryan Trenkamp
Niota, Tennessee

"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to
remain silent."
- Thomas Jefferson
Extinction is forever.