[tn-bird] One legged Red-breasted Nuthatch

  • From: "Ford & Cordrey" <fordcordrey@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN Bird List - Post" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 09:10:57 -0600

I had noticed one of the Red-breasted Nuthatches that has been hanging
around our feeders with some unusual behavior for the last several weeks -
it "flails" on the branch when opening a seed, perches differently, and
forages on the ground beneath the feeder, where I nearly stepped on it one
day. It wasn't until this week, since the ground beneath the feeder is
normally out of sight, that I noticed that the bird is missing its left leg
just below the tarsus. I assume it is a recent injury, based only on the
fact that I have seen it attempt to scratch with the leg, but the bird seems
to have adapted well, altering its foraging behavior and using its wings for
balance when it pecks at a seed.

Susan Ford
Cookeville, TN