[TN-Bird] Olive-sided Flycatcher

  • From: eyesew@xxxxxxxxx (Virginia Curtis)
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 07:44:16 -0500

We had this new yard bird yesterday afternoon.  For almost 3 hours it
sat in the top of a dead tree and caught some huge insects.  It was an
immature with the stripes on the sides not as distinct as some we've
seen in Arizona but when it relaxed the wings, the white patch on the
back was easily seen.  And as a bonus, while we watched, a Cedar Waxwing
joined it in the same tree and two Common Nighthawks flew by.  Earlier
in the day a couple of warblers came through - a Blue-winged and
Northern Parula - and we also saw a White-eyed Vireo and a Yellow-billed
Cuckoo.  Something we did not want to see was hundreds of Common
Grackles flying by as they headed to their evening roost.  But not a bad
day of yard birding for late August.

Virginia and Tommy Curtis
Smithville, TN
DeKalb County