[TN-Bird] Old Stone Fort Park near Manchester, Coffee Co, TN

  • From: FINCH64@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 09:56:13 EDT

A friend and I took a trip yesterday to Old Stone Fort Park near Manchester
in Coffee County, TN. I thought I might do a little birding while I was there.
I figured I would maybe see something.
It's a beautiful place with high bluffs looking down to the Duck River and
the rapids below. Nice walking trails to see everything. If you can deal with
having to step over roots that criss-cross the trails in some places - some
that
stick up pretty high out of the ground.

But my friend and I both noticed a significant lack of birds. I mean not one
peep for most of our time there. At one point along the trail we did hear and
see Red-bellied Woodpecker, Carolina Chickadee and Tufted Titmouse. We could
hear an American Crow calling in the distance. I saw a tiny little bird
flitting from tree to tree but at my distance and with my awful eyesight (Terry
Witt
can vouch for my handicap -lol) it was impossible to tell what it was. It may
have been a kinglet but it may just have been a Carolina Chickadee.

But that's it. Nothing else our entire time there - several hours from about
1pm to almost 5pm.

We did see 2 deer up close which was nice and it is a beautiful place to just
walk around the trails but not apparently a place to see alot of birds. At
least not yesterday.

Anybody else ever have any better luck there?

Barry Jernigan
Murfreesboro, TN