[TN-Bird] Off subject: Re: LinkedIn invitations many of you have received "from me".

  • From: Viclcsw@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, knoxvilletos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 20:31:27 -0400 (EDT)

My apologies to everyone that received an invitation from me to join
LinkedIn.

I did not send out these invitations.  The mistake I did make--I  opened
the link to LinkedIn that was provided within an email invitation  from a
friend.  This obviously made my email account accessible to the  LinkedIn
program.  I have asked LinkedIn to stop all emails and  reminders coming from
my
account.  I have pasted my communication with  the program staff below.

Again, my apologies to everyone.

Vickie Henderson
Knoxville, TN
Knox County

    Hi Vickie,
Thank you for  your response.

Per your request, I have withdrawn all pending and  bounced Invitations
sent from your account.

Please feel free to  contact us with any questions about your account in
the  future.

Thank you for being a valued member of our LinkedIn  community!

Erik
LinkedIn Customer Service      Discussion History:    Member Comment:
Vickie Henderson 05/15/2011 18:03    Thank you for your response.  Please note
that I did not import any contacts from add "connections". I  did not enter my
email account password to gain access to emails in my  address book.
LinkedIn has sent out 92 invitations from my email account  on May 10th. I did
not
give any authorization or request for this or enter  any information
related to my email account.

What I did do, which  is disturbing as I think about it. I opened the link
to the LinkedIn site  given in the LinkedIn email
invitation from a friend and replied. I  never expected this to give the
LinkedIn program access to my email  account. This is a serious problem with
the program.

Please do, on  your end, whatever will stop any repeat of the invitations.
It would be  good to hear that you can correct this problem. I am not
inclined to keep  this membership at this point.

Vickie Henderson

In a  message dated 5/15/2011 12:19:10 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
_linkedin_support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:linkedin_support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
writes:      LinkedIn Response 05/15/2011 11:19    Dear Vickie,

I'm sorry  it's taken so long to get back to you Vickie.

I am really sorry to  hear about this. Please know that weâ??d never import
contacts or send  invitations on your behalf. We require all members to enter
a personal  password any time an action is taken on their account.

After you  imported your contacts from the â??Add Connectionsâ?? section on
the site, you  were taken to a page that said â??Invite Contacts to Connectâ??.
By default,  the boxes next to the contacts' names are checked and hereâ??s
what probably  caused the problem. It appears that you clicked â??Send
Invitations
â?? instead  of â??Cancelâ??. Clicking â??Cancelâ?? would have placed the
contactâ??
s information  on the â??Imported Contactâ?? page and taken you back to your
home page. When  you clicked â??Send Invitationsâ??,it sent out invitations to
connect which -  unfortunately - is not what youâ??d intended.

If it would help, I can  withdraw all pending invitations. If people havenâ??
t already responded, it  would also prevent a reminder email from being sent
out. Later, you can  send invitations to anyone you want from your â??
Imported Contactsâ??  tab.

Let me know if youâ??d like me to proceed and Iâ??ll address this  as quickly
as possible.

Thank you for being a valued member of our  LinkedIn community!

Erik
LinkedIn Customer Service      Original Contact:    Member Comment: Vickie
Henderson 05/12/2011 22:20    I just joined LinkedIn in  response to a
friend's invitation. The program has been sending out  invitations to people
from
my email list without my requesting it to do  so. How do I make this stop?

Secondly, is this an automatic  setting? and shouldn't it be set the other
way around, only if desired by  member?

Vickie  Henderson

               Assistant Moderator Chris O'Bryan
                        Clarksville, TN