[TN-Bird] Re: Off Topic - Texas Bird ID Request

  • From: kristybaker@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2015 04:16:35 +0000 (UTC)

Hi - Thanks for the reply.  I just read another before yours and he said the
same thing.  Embarrassing!  Kristy
From: kristybaker@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 11/28/2015 8:19 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: TN-birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [TN-Bird] Off Topic - Texas Bird ID Request

Hello,

I was in Texas earlier this month looking for butterflies.  Although not there
for birds, I did get to see a Greater Peewee at Anzalduas County Park (Mission)
and a Swallow-tailed Kite (outside Resaca de la Palma in Brownsville)!!  While
at Anzalduas County park, I noticed a bird that I didn't recognize fly into a
tree .  It seemed like a finch of some sort, but I couldn't get very close
before it flew off.  I did try to take a couple of pictures, but they are
awful.  The morning was overcast, and I was quite a distance.  You can see the
outline of the bird, and you can tell it is reddish with a light-colored patch
on the breast.  The bill appears sharp.  I emailed it to the person who keeps
records for the area, and she thinks it is a house finch.  Initially I agreed,
but when I looked at these again today, I'm really not sure it is.  I would
think the house finch would have the reddish on its breast, not the light
patch.  Additionally, the bill is too sharp (in my opinion) to be a house
finch.  Any thoughts? Or, does it seem most likely to be a house finch?  Again,
bad pictures, I know.

http://www.pbase.com/kristybaker/image/161949881
http://www.pbase.com/kristybaker/image/161949882
  http://www.pbase.com/kristybaker/image/161949883