[TN-Bird] Odd Blue-winged Warbler song

  • From: Bill Pulliam <bb551@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 15:54:52 -0500

I finally got around to posting the recordings I made of the aberrant Blue-winged Warbler song I recorded last week (6/9/11) right on the Lewis/Hickman County line. As I mentioned before, I saw the bird and it looked like a normal Blue-wing, not a hybrid. I posted a video recording, even though most of the video track is useless (blurry wiggly trees with no bird). I did append two sonograms of sample songs at the end; you can pause for a longer look at them:

http://s368.photobucket.com/albums/oo125/wmpulliam/? action=view&current=Bluewing.mp4

This is not an alternate "B" song. It is an unusual primary "A" song. I transcribed it as "seeeee-biz-biz." To my ear it sounded like a normal Blue-wing introductory note, but followed by two short Golden-wing like notes rather than the usual slow "raspberry" trill. There are many good examples on the tape I posted; the loudest and clearest ones are near the end. The sonograms more or less agree with my audio impression, with a few details differing. The introductory note is a typical Blue-wing "seeee". The subsequent notes are spectrographically more like the first note (but higher pitched) than they are like the typical Golden-wing song, but the difference is subtle. What is the oddest to me is the extremely "hard" abrupt beginning of these notes; it almost looks like they were artificially constructed with a "cut" in the tape at that point. This is also characteristic of the terminal notes of a Golden- wing song, but especially at the END of the note, not the beginning.

Evidently, a Vermivora does not have to have mixed parentage to come up with his own unique mixed-up song!

Bill Pulliam
Hohenwald TN
TN-Bird Net is owned by the Tennessee Ornithological Society Neither the society(TOS) nor its moderator(s)

              Assistant Moderator Chris O'Bryan
                       Clarksville, TN

                      MAP RESOURCES