[TN-Bird] Obit of Memphis Chapter member Carolyn Bullock

  • From: KnoxMartin2@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 19:00:18 EDT

As you know from an earlier email from TOS President Dick Preston, Carolyn
Bullock of the Memphis Chapter passed away suddenly earlier this week. Below
is her obituary from the Commercial Appeal:

"Carolyn Dagmar Hodges Bullock, 77 passed away Wednesday, June 16, 2010 at
Methodist University Hospital. She was preceded in death by her husband,
William O. Bullock, Sr.

She is survived by her children, Cyrille J. Bullock, Barbara Bullock Pyles
and William O. Bullock, Jr. and his wife Teresa; her grandsons, William O.
Bullock, III and Price Baxter Bullock; two sisters, Marillyn Holmes, of
Grenada Hills, CA and Catherine Hamilton Hepinstall of Little Rock, AR; two
nephews, David and Bob Hamilton of Little Rock and niece Hynndie and nephew
Jody
Wali of California.

A memorial Service will be held Saturday, June 19, 2010 at 11:00 am at St.
John's United Methodist Church at 1207 Peabody. In lieu of flowers, the
family requests that memorials be made to National Kidney Foundation of West
Tennessee or a charity of the Donor's choice.

Carolyn was a long time member and served as a local and state officer of
Tennessee Ornithological Society, and was a respected authority on birds in
the Mid South. She was instrumental in the restoration of the bald eagle
population at Reelfoot Lake and traveled extensively throughout the Americas on
birding trips. She worked as a Field Representative for the US Census Bureau
for many years and tutored through the Memphis Literacy Council until weeks
before her death. She believed strongly in the election process and served
for decades as a local polling official. She had a deep and abiding love and
respect for nature her entire life, and passed this on to her friends and
family. She lived her most recent years at the parkview in midtown Memphis,
participating in activities with her many friends."

Carolyn's Memorial Service this morning was a "standing room only" event
attended by her many friends and family. She was a pillar of the Memphis TOS
Chapter and will be greatly missed.

Knox Martin, Secretary
Memphis Chapter, Tennessee Ornithological Socirty
Shelby County

The South is a land that has known sorrows; it is a land that has broken
the ashen crust and moistened it with tears; a land scarred and riven by the
plowshare of war and billowed with the graves of her dead; but a land of
legend, a land of song, a land of hallowed and heroic memories. To that land
every drop of my blood, every fiber of my being, every pulsation of my heart,
is consecrated forever. I was born of her womb; I was nurtured at her breast;
and when my last hour shall come, I pray God that I may be pillowed upon
her bosom and rocked to sleep within her tender encircling arms. Edward Carmack
</HTML>

               Assistant Moderator Chris O'Bryan
                        Clarksville, TN

                       MAP RESOURCES