[TN-Bird] Obion County birding

  • From: Mark Greene <greenesnake@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 17:09:35 -0800 (PST)

February 14, 2013
Gibson & Obion Counties

I was in Obion County most of the day and had a few interesting birds. As I was
driving north, I had about 250 Sandhill Cranes in a corn stubble field along
Hwy 45W just north of Rutherford in northern Gibson County.

I had received a second hand report of a possible Ferruginous Hawk in Union
City on Hwy 51 near the Titan Tire plant (formerly Good Year). I did not find a
Ferruginous Hawk but I did find a very pale, immature Krider's Red-tailed Hawk
that had me fooled for a few moments. This was a gorgeous bird with a
completely pale top of the head and a white breast but when the bird took
flight the patagial marks were clearly seen. I'm not sure if this is the bird
that was being called a Ferruginous or not. I will continue to look in the area
next week.

Love was in the air (literally) on this Valentines Day as I watched a pair of
Red-tailed Hawks in courtship flight and watched as they locked a talon and did
the side over side free fall for several hundred feet. I also saw a pair of
American Kestrels copulating and a pair of Loggerhead Shrikes perched beside
each other on a wire.

Happy Valentines Day & Good Birding!

Mark Greene
Trenton, TN