[TN-Bird] Obed Hawk Migration Count

  • From: "Chris Sloan" <chris.sloan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 19:31:23 -0500

Today I attended a hawk migration count at Obed Wild and Scenic River in
Morgan County.  This was coordinated by Arthur McDade (a naturalist at
the park) and David Trently.  We were at the Lilly Bluff Overook, which
may be the most beautiful vista I've ever seen in this state.  Except
for the overlook itself and the bridge directly below us, there are no
human structures visible from the overlook in any direction, and the
views up and down Clear Creek Canyon are spectacular.  Plus, the
boardwalk at the overlook is magnificent.  I cannot recommend it
strongly enough; this overlook worth seeing on its own merits,
regardless of the birds.

In any event, I started hawkwatching at 9:30 eastern and was joined by
the rest of the group around noon.  Except for the first hour and a
half, conditions were great for the birds but poor for the watchers
(although, in the abstract, the weather was gorgeous).  The initial
cloud clover broke by around 11:00 (from that point forward, there was
not a cloud in the sky), and that, coupled with a steady NE wind,
resulted in high fast flying birds that were very difficult to detect.
On several occasions, we glanced behind us and managed to pick up birds
that we had failed to detect passing over.  Frequently, birds were so
distant that we would see them, and then lose them almost instantly.
There is no telling how many birds we missed because of these
conditions.

From 9:30 AM until I left at 4:00 PM, we observed the following
migrating raptors:

221 Broad-wings (including one magnificent, bubbling, swirling kettle of
119)
1 Osprey (most likely a female based on extensive markings across upper
breast)
1 Sharp-shin
2 unidentified buteos

The first birds were detected at 9:58 AM and the last at 3:28 PM.

Also seen were:
1 Red-shouldered Hawk (appeared to be a local bird)
3 Red-tailed Hawks (all appeared to be locals)
5 Red-headed Woodpeckers
1 Prairie Warbler
2 Pine Warblers
3 Magnolia Warblers
1 Hooded Warbler
2 Swainson's Thrushes
1 Veery
1 Rose-breasted Grosbeak
1 Red-eyed Vireo
1 Yellow-throated Vireo
3 White-eyed Vireos
2 Gray Catbirds

A few Turkey Vultures and Black Vultures defied characterization as to
whether they were transients or locals.

David Trently likely has some additional sightings (I know he mentioned
a Mourning Warbler that he found somewhere) to add to this list.

Chris Sloan
Nashville, TN=20