[TN-Bird] OT: Katrina and IBWO

  • From: K Dean EDWARDS <kde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 11:10:12 -0400 (EDT)

Given the human tragedy, it hardy seems worth mentioning (and a bit off-topic) but note that the Pearl River basin, where the 1999 Ivory-billed Woodpecker report and subsequent search efforts took place, is right along the LA-MS border... right in the path taken by the center of Katrina.

Assuming there are IBWO in that area and assuming they
survived the storm itself, this might actually benefit them.
One of the theories I've heard recently (e.g., "The Grail Bird"
by Tim Gallagher) is that IBWO may be opportunistic, taking
advantage of areas where large numbers of trees are killed
by fire and hurricanes for feeding.

On an even more off-topic note, you know all those autonomous
recording units (ARUs) that they put out in the swamp to attempt
to record IBWO calls and drumming.  I know they're checking them
for IBWO, but I wonder if anyone is checking them for Bachman's
Warbler songs while they're at it?  Wouldn't a "two-fer"
return from the brink be nice?

Dean Edwards Knoxville, TN

TN-Bird Net is owned by the Tennessee Ornithological Society Neither the society(TOS) nor its moderator(s)