[TN-Bird] Re: OT: Ethics, Legality, etc.?

  • From: Billie Cantwell <bfcantwell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2014 20:12:28 -0400

You are NOT allowed to play recording in the Great Smokey National Park of bird songs. You can play it low for your ears only to id a bird.

Billie Cantwell
Knoxville, TN
On 6/4/2014 6:31 PM, Bates Estabrooks wrote:
TN Birders,

I saw a statement recently on a web site for a park/natural area (not in TN) that puzzled me. So I thought I'd post this here to see what TN birders think.

The statement says that it is against their rules to "pish" or play recordings to lure birds in, _because_ these behaviors are against the law and "harmful." The area is a breeding area for an endangered species of bird.

My questions:

Is it indeed illegal (federal or in some states) to "pish" or play recordings?

Is "pishing" harmful?  Are recordings harmful?

Thanks.

Bates Estabrooks
Anderson County

---