[TN-Bird] Nutsy creeper, mocks & screech

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 14:52:42 EST

This morning, as I was making coffee around 6:30, I looked out to see "my"
brown creeper creeping up the feeder pole to the peanut butter spread which
it began to eat vociferously as if totally starved to insanity!  After the
little thing sated itself, it flew back to its favorite tree in the back yard
which is ringed with sapsucker holes.  I really have not been aware that
creepers were feeder birds, much less peanut butter, bit I guess it figures.
I rarely see the bird, but about once every three days or so, I happen to
notice it on the same tree, foraging from bottom to top just as it did on
Nashville's count day when Tarcila Fox and I saw it for our count list.
Since this is the first year I have ever had one in the yard, I am not too
familiar with the behavior of this species as a yard bird.

Later, I cleaned the scrapings from a Christmas cake plate from which I had
served a Kane cake I'd made.  I decided to put those scrapings out for the
birds to see if they would like them.  Lane cake frosting is made with
raisins, pecans, coconut, sugar, egg yolks and bourbon which has had the
alcohol cooked out, so I do not think there would be anything to harm my
"babies" on the feeder.  The two bosses mockingbird immediately feasted as
did the Carolina wrens.  Since I did not have much left to put out there,
they ate it all before the starlings got a chance.  They are all back to
eating peanut butter now, and all seems well.  The bosses are up to their old
trick of finding the window for whatever room I am in and letting me know
when the peanut butter has run out!  Golleee, can they ever be demanding!

Just before daylight, a screech owl "whinnied" twice from somewhere in a yard
across the street when I stepped outside my front door.  Sometimes I have had
one in the holly "tree" outside my bedroom window.

Dee Thompson
Nashville