[TN-Bird] Not birds, but bird food... Cicadas are back

  • From: Bill Pulliam <littlezz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-birds Listserv <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 May 2015 00:27:12 -0500

Ruben Stoll's mention that the Perry County Swallow-tailed Kite was feeding on periodical cicadas alerted me to the emergence of 13-year cicadas in western Tennessee this year. The middle TN emergence a few years back just missed our place by a few miles, but this year's emergence of the Mississippian brood is taking place on our front porch at this very moment. It looks like in TN this brood is found mostly from the counties bordering both sides of the TN river and westwards. I am likely at its extreme eastern fringe. The maps are not clear on whether they occur in the Mississippi alluvial plain itself; birders could do a lot to elucidate the distribution by submitting reports to www.magicicada.org. And if you want an auditory challenge, try to tease out the distinct songs of the FOUR different species of Magicicada in this brood, once they really get noisy in the coming weeks!

Bill Pulliam
Hohenwald TN

JPEG image

JPEG image