[TN-Bird] Northwest TN trip, Saturday January 11 Gibson, Lauderdale, Dyer, and Lake counties

  • From: oeserscave@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 14:00:59 -0500 (EST)

Saturday I ventured to the northwest counties to add some year and county birds to my lists, and hopefully some state birds.

Gibson county
Wetlands 3 miles NNE of Milan
On the west side of the road, hundreds of blackbirds were in the trees, on the ground, and bathing in the wet woodlands across from one of the ponds. The flock seemed to be evenly split between Rusty Blackbirds and Common Grackles. While waiting for a photo op, a Red-Shouldered Hawk flew up to a nest easily visible from the road (photo).

Gibson county lake
Around midmorning, boaters were numerous and waterfowl were not. From the boat ramp, I had a group of Canada Geese way off to the left, a Horned Grebe off to the right, and many waterfowl visible floating way over by the dam, not identifiable with a scope.

Lauderdale county
Lauderdale Wildlife Refuge viewing tower
A juvenile Bald Eagle was flying over the near side when I arrived. I was able to pick out many Mallards, Coots, Ring-Necked Ducks, Northern Shovelers, Gadwall, Greater White-Fronted and Snow Geese, one American Wigeon, two American Black Ducks,a few Green-Winged Teal, Canvasbacks, and several Northern Pintail. I scanned the geese several times, but never found a Ross's Goose in the mix.

Dyer county
Bogota WMA
About halfway along Barbwire Road, I stopped to look at a Northern Harrier in a field to the left. While out, I noticed several sparrows in the brush on the levee on the right side of the road. Pishing brought several American Tree Sparrows into view (photo), along with White-Crowned Sparrow, Field Sparrow, and Savannah Sparrows. A flock of Greater White-Fronted Geese flew over, as well as a Bald Eagle. Once I turned onto Highway 103 from Barbwire Road, I noticed a Loggerhead Shrike on the wires, which then flew to the corn stubble on the north side of the road.

Lake county
Just south of Wynnburg, between Ridgely and Tiptonville, I noticed what I thought was a Rough-Legged Hawk on a telephone pole on Highway 78, so I turned around, crossed the railroad tracks to the less-traveled road on the west side of Highway 78, and parked along the side near the hawk. It was very cooperative, and I took several photos (photo), and I waited a long while for it to fly to get some other shots. While waiting, I heard Horned Larks, Lapland Longspurs, and Western Meadowlarks (singing their unique songs). Once I gave up on the hawk flying, I went up and down the road looking for the Western Meadowlarks for a photo op, but no luck. A flock of Grackles, Red-Winged Blackbirds, and Brown-Headed Cowbirds landed in one of the fields close to the road, and although I thought I could hear some Rusty Blackbirds, I could not find any in the constantly moving flock. I tried Black Bayou and Phillipy Roads for American Tree Sparrows, but had no luck. There were at least 50 Yellow-Rumped Warblers along the north side of Cohoctaw McKutchen Road. A Loggerhead Shrike was on the wires next to Phillipy road. There was no Rough-Legged Hawk in sight along Highway 78 at Highway 213, so it could have moved south the location mentioned above. Driving down Highway 213 to finish out the day, some long lines of Snow Geese were about to fly over, and as I started taking photos, I noticed some would come close to the moon, so I was ready when they did (photo).

American Tree Sparrow and Western Meadowlark were both state birds for me.

Ken Oeser
Hendersonville, TN

              Assistant Moderator Chris O'Bryan
                       Clemson, SC