[TN-Bird] Northwest TN - Red-throated Loon - Reelfoot

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 08:17:27 EST

Nov. 17, 2007
Lauderdale Waterfowl Refuge
Lauderdale Co,
Great River Road - Dyer and Lake Co,
Tiptonville Landing - Reelfoot Lake
Lake and Obion Co, TN

I met up with Mike Todd for a survey of sites in NW TN. At Lauderdale
Waterfowl Refuge, we enjoyed 5 various aged Bald Eagles scrapping over scraps
plus
200+ Greater White-fronted Geese, 9 Snow and a Ross's Goose. On the way up
there was a large group of Canada Geese and 3 Cackling Geese for a 5 goose  day.

There were over 10,000 ducks and geese covering the water and sky with my
first of season Canvasback for a 16 species total at the refuge expanded to 19
at Reelfoot for the day.From there to Reelfoot we had a ton of Red-tailed
Hawks  with 4 dark morph, adult and immature, and an adult Krider's. We did
have
two  Pine Siskins fly over at the refuge and I had stopped by the old Arnold
Airport  and saw a field that looks good for Sprague's Pipit, we did find a lot
of Pipits  and flushed a single bird but no enough on the silent figure as it
flew out of  sight. This is a site that will be walked more this year for sure.

One Greater Yellowlegs and a bunch of Wilson's Snipe were all the  shorebirds
found at Lauderdale. On the Great River Road we had Harrier's putting  up
Pipits and Lapland Longspurs and our FOS Rusty Blackbirds, a male and a
stunning
female and Mike got a photo of her.

We found 22 White Pelicans at the I-155 bridge, 76 at Tiptonville Landing
and a few on the lower lake at Reelfoot but Nancy Moore reported 100's on upper

blue basin. The surprise of the day was there were NO Herring Gulls seen, we
even stayed past dusk?? There are 1,000's of Bonaparte's and Ring-billed plus
 one FRANKLIN'S which mike picked out flying by and I had a single Forester's
 Tern.

I had picked up a single Common Loon ( we had 2 more from the east side of
the lake later) and Mike asked if we ever had gotten Pacific or Red-throated
before? I've had 3 or 4 Pacific and Criswell has found a couple that I know of
but Red-throated fall to just 2 over the years for me. Well, I turn back to
the scope and there is a RED-THROATED LOON steaming by, ask and ye shall
receive.

A beautiful day to be out but the drought has decimated so much great
territory. Looking forward to the CBC.....

Good Birding  !!!
Jeff R. Wilson / TLBA
6300 Memphis-Arlington Road
Bartlett, TN  38135
http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/
What is this feathered thing that  lifts my heart to the heavens.

                  EXCELLENT MAP RESOURCES