[TN-Bird] Northern Goshawk & Red Crossbills, Obion Co.

  • From: Mark Greene <greenesnake@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 18:55:40 -0800 (PST)

January 29, 2009
Ken-Tenn Hwy.
NE of Union City
Onion County

I worked in Obion County today where we're still trying to get power restored
to customers who have no power because of the major ice storm that hit NW
Tennessee (as well as AR, MO, and KY). I work for an electric cooperative that
serves about 34,000 customer in NW TN (mostly rural areas and a few small
towns). We've had about 12,500 customers without power because of the ice
storm. That number was down to about 5900 this afternoon. Most of the customers
that are still out are in Lake and Obion Counties. The damage in these counties
is catastrophic. It will probably be sometime next week before power gets
restored to many folks, some maybe even longer. That's the bad part of this
report.

Because of this ice storm I've had to be outside a lot the last three days.
Birds were also in desparation mode searching for food because of the ice
storm. I'll try to give a full report of my sightings one I get a little more
time at the computer once things get a little more back to normal.

Today while working on Ken-Tenn Hwy. (Hwy. 214) between Union City and South
Fulton I had an adult Northern Goshawk sail right over me and make a couple of
sailing turns before going down into some trees in a backyard. This was just
west of the Jiffy Steamer plant which is 4462 Ken-Tenn Hwy. This was at about
10 am.

At approximately 1 pm I heard the distinctive call notes of a Red Crossbill.
The notes kept getting closer and I looked up and 2 Red Crossbills flew over
heading south. Presumably looking for a food source that wasn't covered in ice.
This was on Ken-Tenn Hwy. near where Claude Tucker Rd. and Harris Rd. come in
and jct. with the hwy.

I also had an adult dark-morph Rough-legged Hawk on Crosswind Church Rd. (just
off of Hwy. 51) north of Union City. Mike Todd already reported the Snow
Bunting that I had in the road on Mt. Zion Rd.

I should be working in the area for the next several days so I'll be keeping my
ears and eyes open and my binoculars close by! I'll try to give a more complete
report / list later on other birds I've seen. These were the highlights.

Thanks to Mike Todd for reporting the Snow Bunting yesterday. Glad he got over
to see the bird as well. By the way Mike, you don't owe me anything, I'm just
paying you back for getting my state Western Grebe a couple of winters ago!

Good birding!!!

Mark Greene
Trenton, TN
Gibson County (we were spared from the ice storm)

                       MAP RESOURCES