[TN-Bird] Northern Goshawk, Lewis County

  • From: Bill Pulliam <littlezz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tn bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 10:08:21 -0600

Apparently if you want to see a Goshawk in Tennessee you should keep chickens. Squawking hens this morning (1/9/2012) brought my attention to a smallish (for a Gos) young male Northern Goshawk in the backyard in western Lewis County. No poultry loss today (yet), though I have been suspicious that there might be a Gos in the neighborhood after mysteriously losing one hen a week ago and noticing the chickens seemed extra skittish and more inclined to stay in deep cover. Cooper's Hawks don't generally have such and impact and I have not seen one successfully take an adult hen (though they really love young pullets!). There is a free-range chicken farm about a mile from here with about 2000 hens; I expect this is the major draw and the reason I have had seen a Gos in the neighborhood twice in recent winters. Obviously this is not the same bird, as this is a brown hatch-year bird.

Bill Pulliam
Hohenwald TN
TN-Bird Net is owned by the Tennessee Ornithological Society Neither the society(TOS) nor its moderator(s)

                       Clemson, SC