[TN-Bird] Northern Goshawk, Greater White-fronted Goose, Lesser Yellowlegs, etc. (Greene Co., TN)

  • From: Alice Loftin / Don Miller <pandion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2012 20:28:56 -0500 (EST)

March 3, 2012

Greene County: various spots in the western portion, including Joachim Bible
Refuge unit of Lick Creek Bottoms Wildlife Management Area (JBR)

After slogging through six days of a nasty respiratory infection, I felt
significantly better after sleeping late today. A little before noon, Alice
Loftin and I decided to make a quick trip to the Bible Refuge and nearby areas.
Apparently the nasty weather yesterday worked some birdy magic, and we found
quite a few notable species in a short time. Highlights:

Greater White-fronted Goose (20 (!!!), Murray Bridge Road 0.2 mile east of Sapp
Rd.)
American Wigeon (27, JBR and elsewhere)
Blue-winged Teal (5, Bridge Burners Blvd.)
Northern Shoveler (22, JBR and elsewhere)
Green-winged Teal (107, JBR and elsewhere)
Ring-necked Duck (10, Bridge Burners Blvd. and elsewhere)
Ruddy Duck (JBR)
Northern Goshawk (juvenile, JBR; identified by size, overall shape, tail shape,
wing-to-tail ratio, flight style, and long undertail coverts)
American Coot (JBR)
Lesser Yellowlegs (2, Bridge Burners Blvd.)
Wilson's Snipe (11)
Barn Owl (JBR)
Tree Swallow (61)
American Pipit (JBR)