[TN-Bird] Re: Northern Goshawk, Franklin County

  • From: Chris Agee <chrisageeinindia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "birdchaserrws@xxxxxxxxx" <birdchaserrws@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2015 09:55:19 -0600

Wow! What a great find!
That is about 15 minutes from my house. I am out of town for a few days but I
can definitely patrol that area over the next few weeks to see if it returns.
It would be great to relocate it.
Chris Agee
Smith co

On Dec 29, 2015, at 8:19 AM, Ruben Stoll <birdchaserrws@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

December 29th 2015

Driving to work on Hwy. 96 East in what I think is Franklin County, several
hundred yards before the Dekalb County line my brother spotted an accipiter
crossing a field.
He immediately said Goshawk, and I was able to get on it by leaning over to
his side of the truck.
I had brief looks at a huge accipiter with very deep, powerful wingbeats.
We both knew it was outside the size range of Cooper's, but thought we still
need to eliminate a Northern Harrier flying very strange. That's when the
bird entered the timber behind a row of houses.
We pulled over and searched for the bird for a while, but it was obviously
private property, and we couldn't follow.
If anyone wants to look, it's HWY 96 just outside Dekalb County on the North
side of the road.
Ruben Stoll, Centerville TN