[TN-Bird] Northern Goshawk, Franklin County

  • From: Ruben Stoll <birdchaserrws@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2015 08:19:20 -0600

December 29th 2015

Driving to work on Hwy. 96 East in what I think is Franklin County,
several hundred yards before the Dekalb County line my brother spotted an
accipiter crossing a field.
He immediately said Goshawk, and I was able to get on it by leaning over
to his side of the truck.
I had brief looks at a huge accipiter with very deep, powerful wingbeats.
We both knew it was outside the size range of Cooper's, but thought we
still need to eliminate a Northern Harrier flying very strange. That's when
the bird entered the timber behind a row of houses.
We pulled over and searched for the bird for a while, but it was
obviously private property, and we couldn't follow.
If anyone wants to look, it's HWY 96 just outside Dekalb County on the
North side of the road.
Ruben Stoll, Centerville TN