[TN-Bird] North Winds/Raptor Rush

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 06:55:24 EDT

Sept. 27, 2003
Ensley Bottoms, Mud Island
Shelby Co. TN
After watching a lot of shorebirds craning their heads around and peering
into the sky, I joined Bert Sharpe at TVA Lake and started scanning the skies.
The Windbirds were not fibbing, there were raptors racing south. In less than
an
hour we were treated to 3 small kettles of Broad-winged Hawks that totaled 27
birds, along with an adult and an immature Bald Eagle streaming south
together. Other raptor travelers were 1 Osprey, 1 Sharp-shinned, 2 Cooper's, 5
Red-tailed, 2 Red-shouldered, 2 Kestrel and a tardy immature Mississippi Kite.
Nine
species of raptors, not too shabby for a West TN hawk watch. No telling how
many I missed that the Wind Birds tried to point out to me earlier.

Later at Mud Island, I had 2 Osprey, another Sharp-shinned, 2 Cooper's and 3
Red-tailed and on I-240 I had another Osprey feeding over a barrow pit.

Added bonuses at the Mississippi River from Mud Island were 9 Caspian, 2
Forster's and 1 Common Tern.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA