[TN-Bird] Norris Olive-Sided Flycatcher & much more

  • From: Carole Gobert <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Bird List <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ron Hoff <rondolly@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 09:50:58 -0400

Saturday, May 10, I spent 5 hours from 10:25 a.m. to 3:25 p.m. at the Norris
Songbird Trail in Anderson County and had 46 species that I could identify plus
a few I couldn't, including a Woodthrush... it was singing but in the distance;
its song was being masked by the songs of closer song and field sparrows and I
couldn't hear it well enough to decide which it was.  Also thought I might be
hearing a Restart but couldn't locate the bird.  Likewise a Blackpoll Warbler
that didn't sing long enough for me to hear it well.   Best bird was an
Olive-Sided Flycatcher, a Lifer.  It took me a while, consulting my field
guide, but the bird was very cooperative, perching fairly close, flying from
one exposed perch to another and letting me see all its field marks.   I also
had good looks at Baltimore & Orchard Orioles, Black and White Warbler, a Hairy
Woodpecker, three Red-Eyed Vireos, at least 3 Eastern Kingbirds, a couple
Blue-Gray Gnatcatchers, a Broad Winged Hawk and a few Gray Catbirds.  Cedar
Waxwings were everywhere.  Either they were following me around or there were
hundreds though I only managed to see a few at a time.  I'm sure that I've
undercounted a number of the birds, including the swallows.  I am double
spacing the list in the hopes that it will come out single-spaced rather than
all run together.

This is what I managed to ID:

Canada Goose     2
Mallard     12    (including 7 very small ducklings)
Great Blue Heron     4
Turkey Vulture     5
Broad-winged Hawk     1
Red-tailed Hawk     2  (circling together)

Mourning Dove     1
Chimney Swift     2
Belted Kingfisher     1
Downy Woodpecker     2
Hairy Woodpecker     1
Olive-sided Flycatcher     1
Eastern Wood-Pewee     1
Eastern Phoebe     3
Eastern Kingbird     3  (possibly 5)
White-eyed Vireo     1
Red-eyed Vireo     5
Blue Jay     2
American Crow     2
Tree Swallow     4
Northern Rough-winged Swallow     2
Carolina Chickadee     1
Tufted Titmouse     6
Carolina Wren     7
Bue-gray Gnatcatcher     6
Eastern Bluebird     9
Wood Thrush     1
Gray Catbird     3
European Starling     1
Cedar Waxwing     50 (estimate)

Northern Parula     3
Yellow Warbler     1
Black-and-white Warbler     2
Common Yellowthroat     5
Yellow-breasted Chat     1
Scarlet Tanager     2
Eastern Towhee     6
Field Sparrow     10
Song Sparrow     13
Northern Cardinal     10
Indigo Bunting     4
Brown-headed Cowbird     1
Orchard Oriole     3
Baltimore Oriole     4
House Finch     1
American Goldfinch     7

Carole Gobert, Knoxville, Knox Couty, TN

                       MAP RESOURCES