[TN-Bird] Norris Dam Songbird Trail migrants

  • From: Carole Gobert <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Bird List <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 17:54:38 -0400

Spent most of the day on the Songbird Trail at Norris Dam State Park in
Anderson County, Tennessee.  Couldn't leave.  I was constantly being confronted
with scores of songbirds challenging me to identify them; some I could, some
not so good.  I twice saw a probable Swainson's Thrush but just couldn't see
either well enough to rule out other possibilities. I did manage to identify 10
species of warblers; that's got to be a personal high for me when out birding
on my own.  I even managed to find a life bird, a Worm-eating Warbler.  I
expected it to be rather drab but it was beautiful.  I hope he or she found
plenty of worms though I think I read somewhere that they actually prefer
insects.  About a half hour later I found a second one.

One hotspot of activity centered around the split trunk of a dead tree. My
attention was drawn to it by excited chickadees, titmice and Carolina wrens.
But they were not the only small birds frantically fluttering around the trer.
There were also Magnolia Warblers, Redstarts, a Black and White Warbler, a
White-eyed Vireo and two warblers I couldn't manage to ID.  I never did figure
out what the excitement was all about.  I looked to see if perhaps there was a
snake in the dead trunk but couldn't see anything.  If they were after insects
they were so small I couldn't see them.

I often hear White-eyed Vireos and sometimes manage to get a decent look at
one.  Today I had good close looks at several.  It was just one of those days.

Here's my list:

Number of species:     41         9:45 a.m. - 3 pm

Canada Goose     8
Great Blue Heron     2
Turkey Vulture     1
Mourning Dove     1
Ruby-throated Hummingbird     12+
Belted Kingfisher     1
Red-bellied Woodpecker     3
Downy Woodpecker     3
Northern Flicker     1
Eastern Wood-Pewee     3
Eastern Phoebe     3
White-eyed Vireo     6
Yellow-throated Vireo     2
Blue Jay     7
American Crow     3
Carolina Chickadee     7
Tufted Titmouse     6
White-breasted Nuthatch     1
Carolina Wren     7
Eastern Bluebird     10
Gray Catbird     1
Northern Mockingbird     2
Brown Thrasher     3
Cedar Waxwing     6
Blue-winged Warbler     1
Nashville Warbler     1  (FOS)
Chestnut-sided Warbler     1
Magnolia Warbler     4
Palm Warbler     1
Black-and-white Warbler     2
American Redstart     5  (at least 2 were adult males)
Worm-eating Warbler     2
Common Yellowthroat     1
Hooded Warbler     2
Eastern Towhee     1
Field Sparrow     5
Song Sparrow     2
Scarlet Tanager     3
Northern Cardinal     6
Rose-breasted Grosbeak     1  (FOS)
American Goldfinch     3

Carole Gobert, Knoxville, Knox County, Tennessee

               Assistant Moderator Chris O'Bryan
                        Clarksville, TN

                       MAP RESOURCES