[TN-Bird] Norris Dam SP Songbird Trail - a few migrants

  • From: Carole Gobert <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Bird List <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 17:46:06 -0400

Got a typical late start this morning (11:30; ok, that's a bit late even for
me) at the Songbird Trail at Norris Dam State Park in Anderson County.  I
hadn't walked far from the main parking lot (maybe a tenth of a mile) when I
saw a black and white striped bird on the ground beside the path.  My first
thought was a black-and-white warbler (not that I'm used to seeing them on the
ground) until I looked closer and saw the bright yellow throat of a way cooler
Yellow-throated Warbler.  I'm sure not used to seeing them on the ground, or
seeing much of them at all.  This one was about 10-12 feet from me.  I watched
it hop around for about 10 minutes, gathering nesting material.  At one point
it was right in the middle of the path.  When someone walked by it would simply
fly to a low branch and continue gathering small grasses in its bill, then
return to the ground after they passed.  It seemed unconcerned about all the
foot traffic.  Great way to start the day.  Found a few more migrants but
nothing to compare to that.

36 species

Canada Goose  3
Mallard  3