[TN-Bird] Norris Black Scoter, Common Goldeneye

  • From: Carole Gobert <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Bird List <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2009 16:38:30 -0500

For an hour beginning at 9:10 a.m. this morning I viewed the waterfowl opposite
the parking area at the south end of the Norris Dam Songbird Trail (Anderson
County) and just above the weir dam.  The Black Scoter was present but had
apparently stayed up too late celebrating the New Year as it slept most of the
time, raising its head a couple times and then going right back to sleep.  The
other waterfowl were all active... a dozen Mallards, three Buffleheads (1 male,
2 females), a male/female pair of Ring-Necked Ducks and the beautiful male
Common Goldeneye who's been hanging out here for a few days.  He was diving
just out from the boat ramp above the weir.  It was easy to spot the ducks...
they were gathered in front of a Great Blue Heron standing on the opposite
shore... the Mallards, the Ring-Necks and the Scoter.

I walked the Songbird Trail Loop and checked out the water birds again when I
was leaving around 1:30.  All were still present.  The scoter was now fully
awake and preening in the area out from the parking lot.  She then swam rather
swiftly down toward the weir.

Other birds of interest were a Golden-Crowned Kinglet (south end of trail), a
Ruby Crowned Kinglet, two Winter Wrens (north end of trail), a Hermit Thrush
and two Brown Thrashers.

I've had a great holiday season... 4 life birds beginning with Pine Siskins at
my feeders on Christmas, then the Western Grebe and Red-Throated Loon at
Cherokee Dam and now the Black Scoter at Norris.

Happy New Year, all.

Carole Gobert, Knoxville, Knox County, TN

                       MAP RESOURCES