[TN-Bird] Normandy Lake "Wows"- Pelicans, Scoters, Long-tailed, Grebes

  • From: roymel@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 13:01:09 -0600

A morning at Normandy Lake Bedford/ Coffee Co...List first followed by
details if interested.

White-winged Scoters
Long-tailed Ducks
White Pelicans
Pied-billed Grebes
Horned Grebes
Canada Geese
Bufflehead
Common Goldeneye (another treat!)
Scaup
Ring-necked Ducks
Hooded Mergansers
Northern Cardinal
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Blue Jay
No Flicker
White-breasted Nuthatch

Normandy Lake brought in a vast array of birds today...we indeed had the
White Pelicans although the flock was considerably less in
number...around 50...perhaps the others are still around in a cove
somewhere.

We also had several flocks of White-winged Scoters (_Madanetta fusca)
_...first flock near the north shore opposite boat ramp...near the White
Pelicans (P_elecanus erythorhynchos_) and these numbered 7. The gulls
again were in mass, feeding on what friend Bob Swanson thought might be
the threadfin shad (I may or may not have the name right? He says they
are a warm water shad and die in cold like this...) Second flock near
the road and then after admiring these we viewed another group of
White-winged scoters numbering in 10...this even closer view was a sheer
delight....then feeding among the gulls were 4 Long-tailed Ducks
(_Clangula hyenalis_)...One winter adult male, one winter adult female,
an immature male, and an immature...pretty close-up looks along the bank
as we were hidden among the winged elm and cedar...The last 2 Scoter
Spots & Long-tailed Duck areas were past Boat Dock in pull out areas
prior the arton Springs Camping Area...toward the old Horse-riding
spot...Frank Hiles Rd???

We ended the morning with 50+ pied-billed grebes (_Podilymbus podiceps_)
near the opposite shore and at least 100+ Horned Grebes (_Podiceps
auritus_).

Indeed a treasured-filled morning...

Observers: Roy, Melissa, JosEllen Turrentine and Amy & Bob Swanson

Bedford/Coffee Co TN near the town of Normandy...near and around
Normandy Dam...

After a morning of birding, a visit to the nearby market is always a
nice pick me up for food/snacks...tell friends Sue and Jim I sent ya!