[TN-Bird] Normandy Area (Coffee/Bedford Co) 12/09

  • From: Dan Snell <dan_snell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Birders <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2015 20:32:47 +0000

12/09/15

Hi All,

Just a couple of notes from the other day-

BEDFORD COUNTY:

Joe Tillet Lake (west of Shelbyville)- still had a single Snow Goose "blending
in" with the white plummaged domesticated tribe

Never Rest Park in Shelbyville- while shooting hoops, I was interested in
hearing a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker. Evidently the male woodpecker drilled holes
in almost every perimeter tree surrounding the tennis/basketball courts. The
sapsucker seemed to be very territorial (like a Mockingbird in winter) in this
area. The YBSA actually flew towards my direction twice- to land in a "carved
up" tree. And yes I believe the bird was watching me shoot jumpers from the
tennis court wooden light pole. Swish! Also a flyover Purple Finch.

along Normandy Road (at 10:25)- I witnessed a female Merlin- on top of a pole
feasting on a caught avian victim. Perhaps if this bird is on wintering
grounds, it could use this location again for feeding. I know people that bird
the Normandy Lake area- so just a heads up to watch en route to the lake. the
location of the feeding pole (along the road) was at the entrance to 750
Normandy Rd (private residence). GPS 35.45750, -086.29626

COFFEE COUNTY

at Normandy Dam Parking Lot, along the brushy edge bordering the water - there
was a Pine Warbler occasionally hanging with the flock of Eastern Bluebirds
and Yellow-rumped Warblers. Other times it flew up on the hill in the Pine trees

Good Birding,

Dan Snell
Lynchburg, TN