[TN-Bird] Re: Nocturnal call

  • From: "james tucker" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "jtuck4478" for DMARC)
  • To: Joe Calabrese <calabirder@xxxxxxxxx>, <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2015 01:55:47 +0000 (UTC)

blockquote, div.yahoo_quoted { margin-left: 0 !important; border-left:1px
#715FFA solid !important; padding-left:1ex !important; background-color:white
!important; } It is a peacock. Google it & you will hear it

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Saturday, October 31, 2015, 9:53 PM, Joe Calabrese <calabirder@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

This was recorded last night, Oct. 30 2015 in our backyard in Hermitage, TN.
We've been trying to figure this out since we've moved to this house 3 years
ago.  We pretty much hear it every night, mostly from sundown to sunrise.  I
don't remember if its been heard in the winter, but definitely spring through
fall. The area behind our house is a small field/pasture area, and then woods
on the far side of that. We've heard the call at dusk several times when there
was still decent visibility, and we've never seen anything visible. Seems like
it's coming from the field, but that is hard to gauge exactly, and could be
from the near side of the woods. The exact spot the sound is coming from does
move around a bit, so the creature doesn't seem to stay in the same spot, and
it never seems like it is coming from high up in the trees. We've also never
heard a call and response -- only seems to be one. It doesn't seem to be
affected at all if we are in our backyard, or if there is a great horned owl
hooting in the area. As you can tell on the recording, the call repeats every
15-30 seconds, and that interval can keep up for hours and hours. Last night we
listened to it for probably 3 hours. We've searched calls for all sorts of
birds, insects, amphibians & mammals, but haven't found a match yet! Hoping
someone has some insight. Thanks!
On Sat, Oct 31, 2015 at 12:19 PM, Joe Calabrese <calabirder@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

We're not sure if this is a bird of not, any ideas?
https://soundcloud.com/calabirder/whooper-edit

Thanks,
Joe & Shelley Calabrese, Hermitage, TN