[TN-Bird] Nighthawk Showcase

  • From: EGLEAVES@xxxxxxx
  • To: TN-BIRD@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 22:50:57 EDT

I don't know how long it has been going on, but tonight, September 1, around
9:00 p.m., my wife and I saw a spectacular show over the new pedestrian Shelby
Street Bridge--hundreds of Common Nighthawks wheeling and reeling through the
air, in and out of the strong light emanating from the bridge, feasting on
countless unseen insects.  And, except for an occasional rustle of wings as
they
flew near, they did it all in total silence.  Quite a show!  Winged
Migration, where were you?
Ed Gleaves
Nashville, TN