[TN-Bird] Night birds, Swainson's Warbler, etc. (Greene Co., TN)

  • From: "Donald Miller" <pandion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-Bird" <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 21:36:45 -0400

August 2, 2007

Greene County: Paint Mountain (PM), Hurricane Gap Road, Kinser Park (KP), and
miscellaneous other sites in the southern and eastern part of the county

I was up at 3:00 this morning and on Paint Mountain by about 4:30.  I spent
about three hours in the field before returning to Greeneville and going to
work.  In the evening, I spent another hour near Tusculum.  Highlights included

Wild Turkey (3 adults and 4 young)
Green Heron (2, KP)
Black-crowned Night-Heron (2 adults, KP)
Osprey (KP)
Cooper's Hawk
Broad-winged Hawk
Solitary Sandpiper (2, Flag Branch Road)
Yellow-billed Cuckoo (KP)
Eastern Screech-Owl (4 (3 heard, 1 seen), PM)
Whip-poor-will (none heard; 1 seen, Hurricane Gap Road, just after dawn)
Eastern Wood-Pewee (3)
Great Crested Flycatcher
Eastern Kingbird (6)
White-eyed Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo (2)
Wood Thrush (3)
Black-and-white Warbler
Swainson's Warbler (1, singing, Hurricane Gap Road 2.1 miles from Paint Creek
Campground)
Louisiana Waterthrush (Hurricane Gap Road)
Hooded Warbler (7)
Grasshopper Sparrow (2)
Blue Grosbeak
Orchard Oriole (4, near Tusculum)

I also saw a Red Fox on Houston Valley Road before dawn and a Black Bear on
Hurricane Gap Road a little past 7:00 a.m.

Don Miller
Greeneville, Greene Co., TN

pandion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx