[TN-Bird] Nice new yard bird

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 12:20:58 EDT

Greetings TN-birders,
At 7:50 AM today, I was preparing greens to cook and watching outside my
kitchen window here in the Charlotte Park area of West Nashvillle (Davidson
County) a few blocks east of the Cleece's Ferry Boat Ramp at the Cumberland
River.
Less than ten feet from the window, a giant poke berry has grown up under one
of my bird feeders (Wonder how THAT seed got there??  It's under my
mockingbird's favorite peanut-butter-eating perch.).  Several robins, cardinals
and a
blue jay were enjoying the fruits of the poke when I spied a charcoal gray bird
with a mulberry cap and under tail coverts moving along the deck rail toward
the poke berry.  Yes, Folks, it was my yard's very first CATBIRD!  Although it
seemed a bit shy and, perhaps, intimidated by the other birds, its hunger
overcame its wariness, and it moved in for a big feed.  It stayed for several
minutes then flew into the far side of one of my hackberry trees from which it
did
not emerge to my view again.  It sure was nice to have it here although
momentarily.  It may come back again later, but I suspect it is a migrant that
just
happened to spy the poke as it was flying across the area.  I used to share
my mulberry trees in Florida with catbirds when I was a youngster.

The few robins have been feeding continuously, and they ever take an
occasional "beak dip" into the grape jelly that I have in an empty orange half
on the
deck rail.  They do seem to enjoy that as a special snack quite often.

Cheers & prayers,

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN