[TN-Bird] Re: Next 10 Species for TN?

  • From: Bill Pulliam <bb551@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 09:32:03 -0600

Taking the empirical approach, and looking at what species are not on
the TN list but do have inland records from the 8 adjoining states +
South Carolina, and giving preference to species that occur regularly
in an adjacent state and show a pattern of wandering, there sure are
a lot of possibilities.  Interestingly, no new seabirds jump to the
top of the list; the recent hurricane fallouts have pretty well
cleaned up the most likely prospects there!

My choice for most overdue species in Tennessee:

1.  Mountain Bluebird -- reports from all around us.

Other species that are at least regular rarities in adjoining states
and seem most likely to wander our way:

2.  Greater Roadrunner
3.  Lewis' Woodpecker
4.  Black-billed Magpie
5.  Clark's Nutcracker
6.  Bohemian Waxwing
(6A. Chestnut-collared Longspur) -- since there was a sight record
last month that will likely at least get this bird on the provisional
list, it would be cheating to pick it now!
7.  Great-tailed Grackle

Rounding out the top 10, some species that have multiple records from
adjoining states; all seem way overdue for Tennessee:

8.  Lesser Goldfinch
9.  Ferruginous Hawk
10.  Broad-billed Hummingbird

Runners up are Mountain Plover, Sandwich Tern, Buff-bellied
Hummingbird, Fork-tailed Flycatcher, Cassin's Kingbird, and Northern
Wheatear.

Now throwing the empiricism aside, it just seems like we are due for
a Tufted Duck, Little Stint, and Slaty-backed Gull, with the good
coverage we have of the ducks, shorebirds, and gulls at several hot
spots in west TN.  On the other hand, even with all this good
coverage we still don't have any official records for these birds, so
maybe they aren't as likely as our guts might tell us.

OK so let's go find some of these critters!

Bill Pulliam
Hohenwald TN

                       MAP RESOURCES