[TN-Bird] Next 10 Species for TN?

  • From: Chris Sloan <chris.sloan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird Listserv <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2009 16:49:28 -0600

This is always a fun discussion and we haven't had one here for a
while.  What do you think are the next 10 species that will be added to
the TN state list?  I will propose my top 10 and my reasoning, and then
throw out the rest of the candidates for my list that didn't make the
top 10, but are still plausible in my opinion.  I look forward to the
discussion.

Chris Sloan's Predictions of Next 10 New Species for Tennessee:

1.  Mountain Bluebird - This species has a well-established pattern of
eastern vagrancy; several neighboring states have records (AR, KY, MS,
NC).  In my opinion, this one is just being overlooked because most of
us don't give bluebirds in TN a second glance.  KY's record illustrated
this; the person who found it was stopping to show his girlfriend an
Eastern Bluebird and it just happened to be a Mountain Bluebird.

2.  Tufted Duck - This is a classic "anywhere, any time" vagrant in the
U.S. and has occurred in several nearby states, including just across
the border in KY.  Long overdue in my opinion - check those scaup flocks
(it's most regular associates) closely!

3.  Great-tailed Grackle - They have a well-established pattern of
vagrancy all along the Mississippi River up into the Dakotas.  We have a
couple of near misses already on this one.

4.  Greater Roadrunner - This one occurs regularly just across the
Mississippi in several places.  The river is obviously a significant
barrier for this species, but sooner or later one will cross a bridge or
follow a railroad track into Tennessee.  Also some near misses on this one.

5.  Burrowing Owl - Lots of eastern records for this one; most are on
the Gulf and Atlantic coasts but some also from the midwest.  I think
they breed not too far west of us as well.

6.  Broad-billed Hummingbird - There are probably more eastern records
of this species than any other that hasn't yet occurred in TN; all the
coastal states around us have records, as do several midwestern states.

7.  Mountain Plover - Lots of eastern records, including just to our
south in MS.

8.  Fork-tailed Flycatcher - another "anywhere, any time" vagrant from
South America.  Not likely to be overlooked, though!

9.  Northern Wheatear - This one has been seen in 43 states and
provinces, including most eastern states.

10.  Slaty-backed Gull - This species seems to regularly come across to
the midwest, so wouldn't be surprising for one to show up here.  I know
of one record from St. Louis, which isn't that far up the river from us.

Here are my candidate species that didn't quite crack the top 10.  I
won't bore you with the explanations, although I'm happy to share my
thoughts on them if you want to email me off-list.
Wilson's Storm-Petrel
Crested Caracara
Northern Lapwing
Pacific Golden-Plover
Spotted Redshank
Little Stint
Black-tailed Gull
Mew Gull
Glaucous-winged Gull
Ancient Murrelet
Lesser Nighthawk
Lewis' Woodpecker
Western Wood-Pewee
Cassin's Kingbird
Bicknell's Thrush
Painted Redstart

One note:  some of you may wonder why Green Violetear isn't on my
lists.  It's not on there because there is, in fact, a record for TN,
although I don't think it's been reviewed yet by TBRC.  A few months
back, clear, definitive photos surfaced of one at a feeder in
Collierville in September 2007 for one day.  The host didn't know any
better, but at least he took some good photos.

regards,

Chris Sloan
Nashville, TN

                       MAP RESOURCES