[TN-Bird] News from the North and South

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 09:35:39 EDT

July 2, 2003
I just got a couple of reports from the far north that we may be seeing the
results of now or in the future. One report from the Baffin Island area states
that a recent trip up there produced no Ivory Gulls nor Snowy Owls. Apparently
the prey population has cycled into collapse mode. Maybe an indication that
large white birds may be visiting in numbers during the coming winter.

In the Arctic region, winter weather and snow cover hung around and spring
showed up 2 weeks late. Then winter weather blew back in recently, hopefully
for
just a short stay. A lot of shorebirds delayed breeding and from what I've
seen a few gave up early and have come back to the sunny warm south early.

Here is another habitat update from along the Mississippi River that has made
a lot of Least Terns happy and a few farmers. The river has dropped over 10
feet in less than a week! Hopefully no bounce back this time and nesting on the
safer sandbars can get back into full swing.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL' COOT / TLBA
Bartlett Tenn.