[TN-Bird] News from Cornell Lab of Ornithology

  • From: "Shane" <tshane@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 16:04:47 -0500

Birders:
Here is new information on the Ivory-Billed Woodpecker that I am sharing from
the Cornell Lab of Ornithology that TN. Birdwatchers might be interstead.

Shane Adams
East of Hamblen County
Morristown, TN. 37813

Greetings Lab members and friends,

With the new field season underway in Arkansas, we're all excited about chances
for more clear sightings of our good friend, the Ivory-billed Woodpecker. We're
going to keep you abreast of search developments so you can be a part of the
action. Also in this edition: a top honor for one of the Lab's online birding
resources, and updated information about the so-called "bird flu."

New Ivory-bill Search Has Begun
The 2005-2006 field season is underway as you read this. It runs from November
1 through April 30, and there are many high hopes that this will be the year
for the stunning visual close-ups (and photos) of the bird we'd all love to
see. The Cornell Lab of Ornithology has assembled a crack team of paid and
volunteer searchers. Sites already searched will be reviewed and new areas
scouted. The areas being searched include the Cache River National Wildlife
Refuge and the White River National Wildlife Refuge, among others. Soon we'll
unveil our updated ivory-bill web pages, describing the activities that will be
taking place in more detail. You can also learn more about the exceptional
group of people spearheading the Ivory-billed Woodpecker Research Project. We
plan to post updates from searchers on the web site, passing along their
first-hand impressions of life as an ivory-bill seeker, so you can feel like
you're part of the search without ever getting your feet wet!

Hear the Experts on Ivory-bill Evidence
In August, researchers from the Cornell Lab of Ornithology shared results about
the Ivory-billed Woodpecker with their colleagues at the annual meeting of the
American Ornithologists' Union. Now if you have broadband Internet access, you
can see and hear their talks online, including a special plenary session by Lab
director John Fitzpatrick about the history, conservation, and evidence for the
ivory-bill.

"Bird" Flu Furor
All the news about the spread of the so-called "bird flu" is causing some
concern among birders. There is absolutely no danger in continuing to watch and
feed birds as you have always done.
        Since January 2004, the known human cases of avian flu have all
occurred in Southeast Asia. Almost all of these infections were contracted by
people who handle chickens. Migratory waterfowl and shorebirds can carry avian
flu; infected birds have been found in Mongolia, Kazakhstan and Russia.
However, according to Alfonso Torres of Cornell's College of Veterinary
Medicine, "When experts look at the maps of the areas affected by avian
influenza in Asia and they look at the flying pathways of migratory waterfowl,
there is not an overlap. Waterfowl are not the culprit for what is happening in
Asia." Visit the Cornell Chronicle  for a five-part series on avian flu. We
also have more information on this topic on the Project FeederWatch web site.

Top Tech Award for All About Birds
We're thrilled that ScientificAmerican.com has named the Cornell Lab of
Ornithology's All About Birds site as a winner of its 2005 Science & Technology
Web Awards! Each year the magazine's editors review countless web sites and
choose a select number they feel are the most innovative, creative and valuable
as science and technology resources. You can read the write-up here. The All
About Birds web site is a continually growing interactive resource for birders
of every skill level. We thank all of you who have helped make this possible
through your support of the Lab!

Project FeederWatch Begins This Week!
 Project FeederWatch begins November 12! Participants this year will enjoy
improvements to the Data  Entry web pages, new paper data forms, and an
electronic newsletter. The FeederWatch team has also streamlined the summary
page, making it easier to see current and past data. All participants are
welcome, so sign up today! To sign up in the U.S. click here or call the Lab
toll-free at (800) 843-2473. In Canada visit Bird Studies Canada online or call
(888) 448-2473.

Thanks for all your continued good wishes and support!