[TN-Bird] New heron rookery (Kingsport)

  • From: Wallace Coffey <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 1-A TN-Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 09:42:48 -0400

Thursday (3/20), Judy Roach and Mary Erwin found a
Great Blue Heron rookery on the South Fork Holston River below the Hammond
Bridge, near Patrick Henry Dam at Kingsport,
Sullivan County.  This is a new rookery and the third known in the South
Fork Holston watershed.

There are about 12 nests on the South side of the river at mid-level and
near the top of low ridge.

At 5 p.m. Roach, Erwin, Janice Martin, Mike Evans, Mary Evans Sybil Williams
and Wallace Coffey gathered at the site to take photos and see the nest.

We observed 6-7 nests holding 1 or 2 Great Blues and
addititonal herons standing on branches near other nests.  We could not
determine if any other species, such as Black-crowned Night-Herons, were
present in the rookery but four of the Night-Herons were perched along the
river and frequently would drop in the swift flowing stream to catch prey.

The nests can be viewed from beside a TVA maintenance area on Wesley road,
just off of Fort Henry Drive.  The higher level nests can be seen from the
drive under the bridge, where there is no vegetation blocking the view.  A
scope is recommended.

To reach this area from I-81, take Exit 59, go north on Fort Henry Drive
toward Kingsport.  Turn right onto the TVA drive just below the dam and
continue right back under the Fort Henry Drive bridge.

Let's go birding.....

Wallace Coffey
Bristol, TN