[TN-Bird] New Yard Bird

  • From: eyesew@xxxxxxxxx (Virginia Curtis)
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 08:24:24 -0500

One of the benefits of looking for one bird is finding another.  As we
watched Alphie feed yesterday morning a Prothonotary Warbler lit on the
yard bird feeder pole - a first for our yard and getting us closer to
130 seen here.

Our hope that Alphie might be the lone Ruby-throated hummer in the yard
until we leave for Dauphin Island and High Island next Tuesday ended
when another mature male joined him late yesterday.  They do seem to be
getting along together as each goes to a separate feeder and they're not
wasting their energy fighting.  The new arrival astounded us when we
first saw him as he drank the most sugar water that we've ever seen a
hummer gulp down.  He must have been flying all day and have been at the
point of complete depletion when he found the feeder. Alphie discovered
the same branch in the same bare bush Willie used all winter and put on
quite a show late in the afternoon as he stretched and preened and made
visits to the feeder.  Sure brought back some great memories.  And
memories are the greatest treasure in life because they can be enjoyed
over and over.

Tommy & Virginia Curtis
Smithville, TN
DeKalb County