[TN-Bird] New Raptor Guide

  • From: <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 09:28:23 -0500

TN-birders,

I would like to mention a new book that anyone with an interest in
raptors, and especially raptor identification shouldn't be without.
Brian K. Wheeler (co-author with William S. Clark on the Peterson Guide
to Hawks and the Photographic Guide to North American Raptors) has just
put out a companion set of guides covering the nesting raptors of North
America, divided into an eastern and a western book. These guides don't
cover the accidentals (which are well-covered in the two above mentioned
guides), but cover the regularly occurring species in great detail. I
just received the eastern volume, and am very impressed. I haven't seen
any mention of these books until last week when I came upon them totally
by accident. I remember now that Wheeler, not too long ago,  was
gathering info on records, especially local records of western-type
Red-tails for a new book. The book is entitled "Raptors of Eastern North
America" and contains an astonishing amount of information. Just as an
example, the section on Red-tails has 22 pages of text and maps, and 80
color photos covering 20 more pages. The text is largely devoted to
identification, but all aspects of their lives are covered. I don't
believe ABA is carrying these books yet, but I found them online at
several of the major distributors for app. $30 each. I'm not sure if the
western edition is published yet, as I haven't found it anywhere in
stock, but hope to get it soon.

Of course, I have no connection whatsoever with this book and have
nothing to gain from promoting it. I just wanted to let a wider audience
know it is out there.

Good birding!!

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN