[tn-bird] Re: Nesting Swallow-tailed Kites Edge Closer to TN

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 08:43:35 EDT

In a message dated 6/18/02 1:59:49 PM Central Daylight Time,
Troy.Ettel@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Of the course the White River is a long river and still a fair way off from
> western Tennessee.  But the important thing here is THEY ARE GETTING
> CLOSER!

I participated in last years hunt for the nest in the White River bottoms
where the birds had been reported regularly for a few years. I missed this
year because the starter motor on my truck failed the evening before we were
going to pull a boat down there for the hunt.

The area where the nest was located is just under 100 miles southwest of
Memphis. As my Mom use to say "No hill for a stepper" and certainly no
distance for such a graceful sailing machine. At the meeting we attended a
couple of weeks ago I was told the nest with a bird sitting on it was found
by helicopter. At that time no evidence of eggs were detected but I'm sure
they are keeping a close eye on it for developments.

You are right this is getting close to TN and the birds have been in the area
here before. Last week as I cruised the areas along the river, especially in
the old Forked Deer River runs in Lauderdale County, I thought about what
great nesting habitat it would make for a Swallow-tailed Kite. With the
recent and continuing nestings of Scissor-tailed Flycatchers and Western
Kingbirds along the river, WHY NOT!!! It may not be too long before we are
holding searches for this incredible bird here in TN.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL' COOT / TLBA
Bartlett Tenn.