[TN-Bird] Nesting Bald Eagles in Rockford/Willow Point Marina

  • From: "Ben M." <benmooney@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2013 22:30:39 -0500

There is a pair of Bald Eagles nesting in the Rockford area. The nest is
visible from the parking lot of Sweet P's Barbque/Willow Point Marina.
 Pull into the parking lot and park facing the lake with the restaurant
behind you. look on the hill in front of you and there is a stand of pine
trees. The nest is in the left side of the pine stand above the gravel
parking area/boat ramp.
I starting keeping an eye on the nest around the 16th of January and have
seen an adult sitting on the nest every time I get to check on it including
this morning, Feb 7th. I have not been able to tell if they have any chicks
yet.  It is easiest to see it with morning light but not a good angle to
see into the nest.
As others have commented, I am so excited to see the comeback the Eagles
have made.  Great to have a nest in the area. Judging by seeing two
immature eagles in this area last year, I am guessing this pair had a
successful hatch last year.

Ben Mooney
Blount Co.
Maryville, Tn